Welcome to this informative article on DNA. Let’s see what is DNA?
- DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid, and it is a long, spiral-shaped molecule that carries genetic information.
- It is found in the nucleus of most living cells and is made up of two strands of nucleotides that are twisted together to form a double helix.
- The order of the nucleotides in DNA determines the genetic information that is transferred from one generation to the next.
- The structure of DNA was first described by James Watson and Francis Crick in 1953, based on the work of Rosalind Franklin and Maurice Wilkins.
- It is composed of four nucleotide bases: adenine (A), cytosine (C), guanine (G), and thymine (T). The genetic information stored in DNA is determined by the sequence of these bases.
- The human genome, which is a complete set of genetic information in a person’s DNA, contains approximately 3 billion base pairs.
- It is constantly repairing itself and replicating itself so as to maintain the integrity of the genetic information it contains.
- It can be found not only in the cells of living organisms but also in some viruses and in ancient fossils.
- Scientists are able to study DNA to learn about a person’s ancestry, diagnose genetic disorders, and develop new treatments for diseases.
- There are many different techniques and technologies that are used to study DNA, including sequencing, microarrays, and polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
Freely available courses to learn each and every aspect of bioinformatics.
Stay updated with the latest discoveries in the field of bioinformatics.
Dr. Tamanna Anwar is a Scientist and Co-founder of the Centre of Bioinformatics Research and Technology (CBIRT). She is a passionate bioinformatics scientist and a visionary entrepreneur. Dr. Tamanna has worked as a Young Scientist at Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. She has also worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the University of Saskatchewan, Canada. She has several scientific research publications in high-impact research journals. Her latest endeavor is the development of a platform that acts as a one-stop solution for all bioinformatics related information as well as developing a bioinformatics news portal to report cutting-edge bioinformatics breakthroughs.