Job Profile: Bioinformatician
Job ID: R2202305
Job Type: Full time
Date Posted: 04-05-2022
ICF seeks a Bioinformatician to support and grow our Public Health, Informatics, and Technology (PHIT) line of business. You will be responsible for providing core bioinformatic support such as utilization, design and implementation of data analysis workflows and pipelines to enable automation of laboratory processes and data analysis. General data management using bioinformatic scripts as well as data science tools and knowledge of platforms is also desired. Collaboration is important and consultation with researchers on genomic experimental design, being up to date on technologies used, and providing expert consultation of bioinformatics support with subject matter expertise in public health microbiology, epidemiology, bioinformatics, proteomics, metagenomics and microbial genomics is desired.
The individual will demonstrate proven expertise in genomic analysis and infectious diseases.
- Provide bioinformatics support for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) including assembly, functional annotation, and analysis of viral genomes, bacterial genomes, fungal genomes, protist genomes, eukaryotic genomes, vector species, complex transcriptomes, and metagenomes.
- Design, program, test, modify, enhance, maintain, and support novel and existing bioinformatics applications
- Provide expert consultation on the adaptation of bioinformatics algorithms and workflows to high-performance computing environments, including scaling tasks from desktop to high-performance computing environments and moving applications to cloud and hybrid-cloud execution environments.
- Perform standard sequence analysis and phylogenetics analysis and support modeling of evolutionary and population biological processes using Bayesian inference and/or genetic algorithms.
- Develop and implement highly parallelized and/or GPU-accelerated sequence similarity search tools for high-throughput sequencing data, using approaches including BLAST and kmer-based searches.
- Develop, configure and deploy standardized pipelines or toolchains for sequence analysis of different sample types into existing computational environments.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of comprehensive and highly curated genomic sequence databases.
Basic Qualifications: (Qualifications required to be considered)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Information Technology or similar plus 2 years of experience OR a master’s degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Information Technology, or similar.
- Infectious diseases experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Unix/Linux or similar environments with ability to navigate in these environments and running and developing software.
- Effective written and oral communication skills with the ability to present technical ideas to stakeholders.
- Experience working in public health.
- Experience working in a consulting firm, development organization, or public agency preferred.
Working at ICF
Working at ICF means applying a passion for meaningful work with intellectual rigor to help solve the leading issues of our day. Smart, compassionate, innovative, committed, ICF employees tackle unprecedented challenges to benefit people, businesses, and governments around the globe. We believe in collaboration, mutual respect, open communication, and opportunity for growth.
We can only solve the world’s toughest challenges by building an inclusive workplace that allows everyone to thrive. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to hiring regardless of any protected characteristic, such as race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status, or military/veteran status. Together, our employees are empowered to share their expertise and collaborate with others to achieve personal and professional goals. For more information, please read our EEO & AA policy.
COVID-19 Policy: New or prospective U.S. employees must provide proof of complete vaccination on the date of their commencement of employment. If selected for employment, you will provide proof of your full vaccination status, defined as vaccinated two weeks after receiving the requisite number of doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved or authorized for emergency use by the FDA.
Reasonable Accommodations are available, including, but not limited to, for disabled veterans, individuals with disabilities, and individuals with sincerely held religious beliefs, in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an accommodation please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to assist. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations. Read more about non-discrimination: EEO is the law and Pay Transparency Statement.
Virginia Remote Office (VA99)
To apply for this job please visit icf.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.