Website University of California San Diego
We are seeking a talented, highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to join the multidisciplinary team of the RCSB Protein Data Bank at UC San Diego, San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC).
The successful applicant will work on research projects that drive next generation search tools at rcsb.org. Dealing with redundancy within the Protein Data Bank (PDB) is an important challenge in face of the ~10% year-on-year growth in structural data stored in the PDB. Tackling the redundancy problem requires understanding of similarities and differences among macromolecules at many different levels. She/he will be expected to contribute to this project by devising new and improved algorithms for protein family classification at levels such as biological assemblies. The ultimate aim of this project is to improve the findability of data in the PDB by building the next generation search engine for structural molecular biology.
Note, this position is reviewed annually on the basis of performance and can be renewed.
Qualifications: Ph.D. in one of the following research areas
- Computer Science with a focus on Bioinformatics
- Structural Bioinformatics, or related field with a focus on software development
- Structural Biology with a focus on software development
- Demonstrated proficiency in a high-level programming language, such as Java, Python, C++, and experience with state of the art software engineering tools.
- Strong skills in problem solving and algorithm design are required.
- A background in NoSQL database technologies would be beneficial.
- Experience in development of modern web applications, user interface design, or scientific visualization would also be a plus.
- We expect candidates to have shown high productivity demonstrated by publications and contributions to open source software projects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are required.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com