Website Cleveland Clinic
A postdoctoral position in biomarker research is available in the laboratory of Dr. Bekris in the Genomic Medicine department at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner Research Institute. The Bekris Laboratory is principally motivated by the question of how biofluid biomarkers can be utilized to discern adult neurodegenerative diseases in both the critical early stages and the late stages of disease progression. Our team aims to develop novel biomarker tools that will ultimately enhance therapeutic strategies for Alzheimer’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease related dementias.
The Bekris lab is focused on Alzheimer’s Disease Biomarker Discovery and uses clinical and experimental approaches to demonstrate the feasibility of genetic, epigenetic and proteins as either potential early stage drug targets or early biomarkers of disease risk, progression and therapeutic outcomes.
The successful candidate will become a part of the Cleveland research community that includes the collaborative environment of the newly created Cleveland Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center. The candidate will work with clinical dementia specialists, computational biologists, genomics researchers, and others in a unique and collaborative intellectual environment of neurodegenerative disorder investigators at one of the world’s leading institutions for medical innovation.The Bekris Laboratory is seeking an enthusiastic and energetic post-doctoral trainee to join our collaborative research effort. Self-motivation and a strong interest in identifying and characterizing novel biomarkers for neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia with Lewy bodies, is essential. Candidate must have the ability to perform analytical reasoning to tease apart biological insights using data-driven approaches. This position requires a background in statistics and computer science with programming in a high-level language preferred (e.g., R) as well as previous experience with high-performance compute clusters and cloud computing platforms.
This position is designed to prepare post-doctoral trainees for research careers in computational and experimental genomics, epigenetics and biomarker discovery.
Principal Investigator: Lynn Bekris PhD
Lerner Research Institute Department: Genomic Medicine Institute
Lab Research Topics:
- Biomarker Discovery
- Adult Neruodegenerative Disease
- TREM2 signaling pathways
- Alzheimer’s Disease
- For more information about the lab’s research, please visit: https://www.lerner.ccf.org/gmi/bekris/ or contact Lynn Bekris at email@example.com
- Independent project design with the goal of data generation, analysis, interpretation and manuscript preparation.
- Exhibit command of chosen research area methodology.
- Provide status reports to the Principal Investigator on project(s).
- Present findings at group meetings and national conferences, as appropriate.
- Draft presentations, manuscripts, and contribute to funding proposals.
- PhD or MD/PhD required
- MD with relevant laboratory experience may substitute for PhD
- English Proficiency proof required for candidates arriving on J-1, J-2, or F1 + OPT visa status
- Previous experience in a research or academic setting. Graduate student experience meets this requirement.
- Scientific writing experience
Additional Preferred Qualities:
- Contribute to laboratory maintenance as part of the team
- Works well with a large team of both clinical and lab professionals.
- Self motivated and dedicated to scientific research
- Experience working with R and multiple bioinformatic tool., and
- Experience with cell culture, flow cytometry 10x genomics, RNA sequencing.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- PPE per institutional requirements; may vary by laboratory
Preferred Application Materials:
All application materials should be submitted directly via email to Lynn Bekris at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keywords: Postdoc, Research, LRI
The policy of Cleveland Clinic Health System and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic Health System) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic Health System’s Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days.
Cleveland Clinic Health System administers an influenza prevention program as well as a COVID-19 vaccine program. You will be required to comply with both programs, which will include obtaining an influenza vaccination, COVID-19 vaccination, or an exemption.
Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic Health System facility.
Please review the Equal Employment Opportunity poster
Cleveland Clinic Health System is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans / Individuals with Disabilities
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com