Website Merck KGaA Darmstadt Germany
Work Your Magic with us!
Ready to explore, break barriers, and discover more? We know you’ve got big plans – so do we! Our colleagues across the globe love innovating with science and technology to enrich people’s lives with our solutions in Healthcare, Life Science, and Electronics. Together, we dream big and are passionate about caring for our rich mix of people, customers, patients, and planet. That`s why we are always looking for curious minds that see themselves imagining the unimageable with us.
Our Company seeks biological data engineering support for data analysis activities, to build our FAIR data environment, and to streamline our data handling. Omics Data Engineering will play a pioneering role in establishing this new group and a leading role in building tools and setting standards for biological data. Our Data Engineers will work in Organization’s X-Omics Platform, which won the 2022 BioIT Innovative Practices Award.
‘Omics Data Engineers will work on clinical and pre-clinical datasets but their focus is biological data types (e.g., DNA sequencing, proteomics, gene expression, collectively “omics data”). While the group will be responsible for routine data engineering tasks, its success will be measured by the extent to which activities can be automated, problems anticipated, and attention focused on our data strategy. Data engineers will collaborate daily with scientists at other R&D hubs and across departments. Ideal candidates will have a background with biological data, perhaps through bioinformatics or data management experience.
Specific responsibilities for data engineers include
- arranging and managing data transfers with CROs and data providers
- running pipelines for raw data analysis
- building tools to automate data transfers and QC
- working with other Data Sciences functions on an R&D-wide data catalog
- developing and implementing standards for data formats, processing, and documentation
- training internal users on data standards, data formats, and data assets
Core qualifications for ‘Omics Data Engineers
- experience with data engineering, data management, and cleaning in biology or healthcare
- attention to detail and ability to lead work with multiple parties (analyst, data type subject matter expert, external lab, etc.) to accomplish data transfers efficiently
- experience with R programming
- experience with Linux command line, shell scripting, and AWS S3
- understanding of controlled vocabularies and ontologies
Preferred qualifications include:
- Python programming
- RShiny programming
- RNASeq and DNASeq data processing
What we offer: We are curious minds that come from a broad range of backgrounds, perspectives, and life experiences. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and believe that it drives excellence and innovation, strengthening our ability to lead in science and technology. We are committed to creating access and opportunities for all to develop and grow at your own pace. Join us in building a culture of inclusion and belonging that impacts millions and empowers everyone to work their magic and champion human progress!
Apply now and become a part of our diverse team!
To apply for this job please visit www.merckgroup.com.