Website Thermofisher Scientific
Category: Bioinformatics Jobs
Posted on: 29-04-22
Profile: Bioinformatics Scientist – Primer Design
Job ID: 197508BR
Organization: Thermofisher Scientific
Job Available in Two Locations: Carlsbad, California, US and South San Francisco, California, US
Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. is the world leader in serving science, with annual revenue exceeding $35 billion. Our Mission is to enable our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Whether our customers are accelerating life sciences research, solving complex analytical challenges, improving patient diagnostics and therapies or increasing productivity in their laboratories, we are here to support them.
Location/Division Specific Information:
- Carlsbad, CA or South San Francisco, CA and can be partially remote.
- Clinical Next-Generation Sequencing Division
How will you make an impact?
The candidate will be part of the Bioinformatics R&D team in Clinical Next Generation Sequencing Group and will be responsible for primer design for the development of targeted sequencing panels, pipelines and algorithms for next-generation DNA sequencing.
As the leading supplier of life science technology and related applications, we are helping life scientists understand and use the power of genomics to pursue new scientific discoveries and advance clinical research in personalized medicine.
What will you do?
- Design assays for custom targeted sequencing panels for external and internal researchers.
- Understand the core scientific questions and design assays to address these questions.
- Work closely with external customers to understand their requests and provide the best design solution that meets their needs.
- Collaborate closely with the molecular biologists, product management, sales, experimental researchers and other members of the Bioinformatics team in new product development, launch and optimization.
- Develop, maintain, and operate bioinformatics pipelines for assay design, data mining and analysis.
- Improve the designs by iterative analysis of the sequencing data obtained. Develop heuristic rules, optimization, and algorithms to improve the design pipeline.
- Analyze sequence data and mine public databases for sequence content.
- Identification, implementation and resourcing of new technologies and methods for optimizing and automating the pipeline for primer design, data analysis, storage, and sharing.
How will you get here?
- MS/PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, Genomics or related field. Three years of relevant working experience are preferred including postdoc experience.
- The candidate must have experience in Python/Perl programming, shell scripting. Experience with SQL is a plus.
- Experience working and developing bioinformatics production systems.
- The following are also required: hands-on experience with the relevant sequence analysis tools (e.g. Blast, Clustalw, bowtie, etc.); an excellent understanding of genomic databases and their annotations (GenBank, RefSeq, ENSEMBL, dbSNP, UCSC genome browser); a good understanding of the biology behind genotyping, gene expression profiling, comparative genomics and genetic mapping; an appreciation of the use of statistical methods and mathematical models in the interpretation of biological data; experience with next generation sequencing data.
- Strong communication and organization skills are needed.
- Demonstrated self-motivation, excellent problem solving/troubleshooting ability.
- Driven to deliver quality results on time and in a highly ethical and professional manner.
Our global team of more than 100,000 colleagues delivers an unrivaled combination of innovative technologies, purchasing convenience and pharmaceutical services through our industry-leading brands, including Thermo Scientific, Applied Biosystems, Invitrogen, Fisher Scientific, Unity Lab Services and Patheon. For more information, please visit www.thermofisher.com.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.thermofisher.com.